An update in between Fleet Action phases? Oh boy. Here we go…
For a few years now, the leadership of Bravo Fleet has listened to feedback where people wanted to help out newer members but maybe didn’t have time for a proper leadership position. We’ve been tossing this idea back and forth for quite a while now. I’m happy to announce the launch of the Bravo Fleet Mentorship Program!
What is it, you may ask? Lets see!
The Bravo Fleet Mentorship Program exists to allow more individualized one-on-one interactions between more experienced members of the fleet with newer members of the fleet. The program exists to help those who make it to the rank of ensign continue their journey through Bravo Fleet to the rank of lieutenant commander. Additionally, it is intended to increase interaction between members, promote fun, and create a tighter nit community in Bravo Fleet.
- All mentor-apprentice pairings should be done through BFMS via the “Request a Mentor” tool. Pairings will then be approved and maintained by the Office of the Chief of Staff.
- Mentors should hold the rank of at least Lieutenant Commander, and apprentices should hold the rank of lieutenant or below.
- Mentors can only have one apprentice at a time.
- Mentors are expected to actually maintain contact with their apprentices; this includes answering questions, efficiently guiding them through the junior officer ranks of Bravo Fleet, and introducing apprentices to other members of their unit.
- Apprentices should be clear with their mentors in communicating what they enjoy doing. This allows mentors to tailor and guide apprentices in doing things that are keen on the apprentice’s interests.
- Mentors who fail to remain in contact with their apprentices should be reported by the apprentice to the Office of the Chief of Staff.
Completing the Program
The Mentorship Program is considered complete when the mentor has guided the apprentice through the junior ranks of Bravo Fleet and the apprentice has earned the rank of Lieutenant Commander. At the conclusion, the Mentor will receive an Expeditionary Award for their efforts.
If this is something you think would interest you and you have someone in mind to pair up with, feel free to apply for mentorship!