It’s banal to note, but without characters, we couldn’t have any of our adventures. Interactions between characters with different personalities are what take our stories from a dry historical depiction of the events we’re depicting to engaging and interesting narratives. To celebrate the release of our new rank set and the expansion of the number of options available to you in your biographies, you are invited to submit the biography of one of your characters you have used in the Stormbreaker Campaign. This should be a character that did not already have a robust biography when the competition opened. For instance, if you had a minor character that’s just been a face and a name, you could expand them to have a full backstory during the next week but you shouldn’t just submit your command character that’s had a good biography all along.
By submitting to this competition you are signifying that the writing you have created for your character biography was largely (meaning 80% or more) created during this competition, and you are not submitting an old biography. (This includes pulling a character out of mothballs from your records and posting them, even if they haven’t been on the BFMS again. This is a writing competition, not a posting your old bios competition, after all!)
You should use the full range of features for the character biography for best effect, including the summary, personality, appearance, gallery, character history, and service record fields.
- Entries should be a link to a BFMS character. (Do not put anything else in the box. At all. Just a link, please!)
- Characters should be at least 80% original material written during the competition, and cannot simply be recycled biographies.
- Characters must either be Starbase Bravo or on your primary command, with some role in the Stormbreaker Campaign.
- Entries will be graded on: - Originality of the character's premise, which includes their species, gender, and role on your command vis a vis common tropes. - Quality of the description, including style, format, and eloquence. - Completeness of the biography, including using all of the available fields (other than death) and supplying images, though the quality of those images will not be used in grading. - Realism of the character in the context of our fleet's lore--so no ninja Q cyborgs, please!
- Entries will not be graded on: - Quality of any graphics used, but the lack of images would not be a "complete" biography.