- The third flag rank, vice admiral, is granted to members who have spent substantial time and energy into not just their own activity in Bravo Fleet but into facilitating and supporting the activity of others. Members holding this rank are exemplars of strong activity and mentorship that others may look to for guidance. Promotion to this rank is obtained through exceptional personal activity and/or service to the organization over a sustained period of time, and will take most members at least a year beyond fleet captain to obtain. Successful nominations to this rank generally are for members who have obtained multiple Merit and/or Recognition Awards as rear admirals.
- Leadership through recruitment, mentoring, staff positions held, and measurable project work will count highly in OCS considerations of nominations. Consistency in activity and/or service must be seen across the TIG; if a member spends some time in the Reserves or does not demonstrate measurable activity for a period of time, they should demonstrate consistent activity equivalent to the full TIG before they are nominated for promotion to fleet captain. Meeting the TIG does not mean that a member will be automatically nominated for this rank, as it will take someone with less activity longer to demonstrate their suitability for promotion.
For this rank, members may meet the leadership requirement through one of the following, or an equivalent combination:
- Serve 12 months as a Department Deputy or Task Force Executive Officer
- Serve 6 months as a TFCO
- Serve 3 months on the Bravo Fleet Senior Staff or as Judge Advocate General
For example, a member serving concurrently as a Deputy in one department and as a TFCO would meet this requirement in 4 months (4/12 + 4/6 = 12/12). A member does not need to hold the staff position at the time of their promotion, but must have had the equivalent time of service following their previous promotion.
- A nomination must have a supporting nomination from the other department head(s) if multiple staff roles are being used to meet the leadership requirement.