Starbase 86 is the headquarters for Task Force 86. It is located at the Federation border to the Triangle region, an unclaimed sector that also falls between the territory of the Klingon Empire and the Romulan Republic. A small Aurora-class starbase, it is the main launching point for Starfleet operations into the Triangle and for defending Federation worlds along this tempestuous border.
Starships of Task Force 86 berth here by default for refit and resupply, or training and administrative duties within the Task Force. The starbase also dispatches numerous operations throughout the region to be conducted by its runabout fleet.
Writing on Starbase 86
This is the Headquarters for TF86, and an open playground for fiction that is:
– Set in and around the Triangle
– Written by or in consultation with TF staff to advance the Task Force plotline
– Written by members who are junior officers (those holding the ranks of Ensign, Lieutenant Junior Grade, or Lieutenant) about their primary characters’ adventures
Or some combination of the above!
Any member of the Task Force is welcome to start a Mission if it falls into one of the above categories. The main purpose of this section is to house and support the writing of junior officers about their primary character. This usually takes two broad forms:
– Stories about the history of your primary character, before they have become a ship commander
– Stories about these primary characters assigned to the Task Force HQ in 2399, as officers expected to soon become starship commanders and in the meantime given missions in the region
Once you reach the rank of Lieutenant Commander, you can request your own Command and write there.
Please make sure your thread follows Canon Policy – I encourage you to refer specifically to Sections 1 and 4.3 – and bear in mind the following for writing in this section:
– There is no plot you are required to adhere to. You are encouraged to come up with your own missions and storylines.
– These stories should be fairly self-contained, episodic adventures that do not massively change the canon of the regions.
– You are free to write on your own or collaborate with others. Reach out to members of your TF on Discord if you want a writing buddy!
– Junior officers’ stories can be set on any of the ships in the expeditionary force, or about a lone officer deployed somewhere in the region, or with a team dispatched on a specific mission from the station by runabout
– You don’t need to worry about length; Stories can be as long or short as you want. We encourage good spelling and grammar so your writing can be easily enjoyed, but nobody will be enforcing this!
– You should keep your own Stories to one Mission.
If you have any questions, including how to get started, please ask your Task Force senior staff and they will be happy to help out.
Starbase 86 In-Play
If you’re a junior officer wanting to write in the Task Force 86 Headquarters, this is the place to start. Your primary character is likely assigned to Starbase 86 as an officer trusted to lead whole missions and operations away from the station as befits their status and skill set. They will easily be granted a team, a runabout, an assignment, and be sent forth into the Triangle or along the Federation border to maintain TF86’s remit of border defence and counter-insurgency.
These missions might be:
– Answering a distress call from a drifting freighter, attacked and stranded by pirates from the Triangle, or the Hunters of D’Ghor
– Pursuing Klingons who recently sabotaged a Starfleet asset, suspected to be a House of Mo’Kai operation
– Helping a border world shore up its defences and infrastructure, protecting them from raids and building up local trust in Starfleet
– Investigating an anomaly in the mysterious, poorly-charted Azure Nebula at the periphery of the Triangle
– Maintaining a survey probe or defence platform that forms part of Starfleet’s border protection infrastructure
Or anything else you might imagine that fits in with the wild region of the Triangle! Just start a Mission under Starbase 86 and get writing!